Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Organized Simplicity, Week 6 in Review

I want to start this week with a testimonial from Abby P.  She sent me this story about her sister, Libby, and gave me permission to share it with you--I hope you are as blessed and encouraged by it as I was:

'I wanted to share a story with you about my sister.  She's as bad or worse than I am, and she came to stay the week with me a couple weeks ago.  I handed her my book ("Organized Simplicity") and told her she should read it.  She was reading it, and then just shouted out "I don't want to move!".  I was taken back because I didn't tell her to move, but evidently God did :)  She is wanting to stay home and homeschool her oldest son and her baby.  Anyways, they are living above their means and her husband knew they needed to move for a long time.  Fast forward to today... their house is now on the market and they're looking for a smaller, more affordable home for them.  She has also gotten rid of 20 lawn & leaf bags of "stuff" that they don't "love or find useful".'
Isn't that exciting??  I'm so glad Abby shared that with us, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is going to bless Libby and her family for their faithfulness to follow His guiding of their family.

I hope you had a good week in your kitchen!  How did it go?  Though I was looking forward to working on my kitchen, I bypassed it this week and went to my closet.  With the fire that happened here in Perryton Friday evening and the clothes drive that is taking place for the victims who lost their homes, I decided my time would best be spent cleaning out more clothes and finding what was of appropriate sizes to donate.  You have to keep in mind that I have gone through my closet once already and gotten rid of many items.  As embarassing as it is to admit, Monday I cleaned out about a dozen items that were of a size that I could donate to the fire victims and cleaned out another five pairs of shoes and about two dozen other items of clothes that I either don't love or don't wear anymore!  Yes, I love clothes!  Up until this class, I've shopped when I wanted to shop, and when I found bargains (which is my favorite way to shop), I would buy something if it was a good deal.  Now, though, I shop only when there is an item of clothing that I need in order to dress the way I want to dress.  I must love every item in my closet or else it goes out, and if I buy something new, something else has to go out.  Just because I have the space in my closet (I am blessed with a huge walk-in closet) doesn't mean I need to fill every available space with clothes. 

But enough of that--I am ready to go back now and do my kitchen!!  Here's a couple of questions for the comments section: 
  1. What is your biggest clutter issue in the kitchen--is it piles of mail?  A disorganized pantry?  Too many (must-have) gadgets?
  2. If you had to choose one, what is your most favorite/important gadget or appliance?

I've realized, as a result of this book, that I am a lover of gadgets! I love to cook, so any gadget that is out there that might be useful to me is attractive!  But as Tsh points out in this week's chapter, single-use gadgets are often not worth the space they consume.  Many of the gadgets that I thought I just had to have I now see as clutter.  I can do the job of several gadgets with just one or two basic tools.  So when I finally get at my kitchen, I will be happily getting rid of several space-consuming gadgets and will rejoice over some extra cabinet space!

As for my favorite gadget or appliance, it would be my slow-cooker, hands down.  I LOVE my slow-cooker and use it at least once a week if not several times a week.  I would be so sad if I were to have to make do without it!

This week, we will be tackling our bathrooms!!  Our assignments include:
  • Read Chapter 12
  • Continue memorizing Matthew 6.19-21
  • Declutter, clean & organize bathroom(s)
This may not be a favorite area of the house to be cleaning out, but I can almost guarantee it will bring you much satisfaction to get your bathroom(s) clean from top to bottom and cleared of clutter!!  Have a great week, and keep me posted on your progress!!

2 comments:

Clydene P said...

I am always amazed when I see someone in need that I even though I just cleared out my closet, I still find more stuff!!!
I was wondering if anyone had any good ways to clean grout. After my kithen was clean I was hoping to clean the grout better. Didn't know if there was a good cleaner or if I should get one of those steam cleaners? Also, has anyone tried the cleaners that she lists in the back of the book?

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a very small kitchen with limited storage space, so I have already pared down what I have. I do have a space above my cabinets that requires a ladder to reach and I got up there this week and removed several things that just need to go! I have gotten my kids on board and we are using a spare room as our "garage sale" room right now and it's starting to get very full. Since I live in the country, I am going to rent a booth at our local "country market" and hope to sell some of these goodies. One thing I have decided to get rid of is my stem ware that I got when we got married. They have been used maybe 2 times in 12 years, so it's time for them to go!
Clydene, I have been using the all purpose cleaner and it seems to do a good job. I think I put too much baking soda in it though and it is leaving a little film because of that.
Abby P.