Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Organized Simplicity, Week 5 in Review

(We are finished with our stay-cationing for the most part, so I should be back to getting these posts up on time!  Thanks for your patience!)

In my devotion time, I am studying the spiritual disciplines with a book by Richard Foster called "Celebration of Discipline."  In my reading today, I came across this quote:
"In contemporary society, our Adversary majors in three things: noise, hurry & crowds.  If he can keep us engaged in "muchness" and "manyness" he will rest satisfied."
What more motivation could we have for this process of decluttering and simplifying that we are undertaking?

So how does your living room look now??  Was the process as painful as you might have expected?  Clydene said hers was relatively easy--it's her kitchen and kids' rooms that she is dreading!  I completely understand that!  When I went through this process the first time last fall, my living room process included getting rid of DVD cases for our movies that stay in a travel-friendly case; getting rid of CD's that haven't been listened to now that they are all on my iPod; purging books on the bookshelves that haven't been read in years; and going through our game cabinet.  This go-round, the game cabinet needed to be purged again, but that's pretty much it.  I'm with Clydene--the living room wasn't that difficult!  The kitchen, however...well, that's what we get to tackle this week!

Before we move on to the week ahead and our new assignment, I don't want to leave this past week just yet.  Did it resonate with you like it did me when she discussed holding on to items that tend to clutter just for the fear of losing the memory associated with it?  I remember the first time I read that how much that impacted me.  Towards the end of the chapter, Tsh wrote:
"You have permission to keep the valid memories in your life and to toss the mere object you've associated with them.  Your memories will remain, even if the objects are removed."  --pg 125, Chapter 9, Organized Simplicity
 I hope this gives you some freedom to get rid of things that are not useful or beautiful to you, knowing the memory connected to that object will still remain.

Have you tried any of the homemade cleaner recipes that are in the back of the book?  I use many homemade cleaners in my home.  Not only are they non-toxic and less expensive, it has simplified my cleaning process to have fewer products rather than thinking I have to use different cleaners for each different task.

Share with us in the comments section below how you are feeling so far about this decluttering, cleaning and organizing process.  I know we are only finished with one room, but do you already feel better about your home?  I hope so--I know every bit of progress will help!  Be proud of all you've been able to accomplish thus far.

For this next week, we get to tackle our kitchens!!  Our assignments include:
  • Read Chapter 11
  • Continue memorizing Matthew 6.19-21
  • Declutter, clean & organize your kitchen 
I've been eyeing several things for weeks that only take up my already-limited cabinet space and aren't used enough to justify their inclusion in my kitchen, so I'm looking forward to doing much purging this week of excess gadgets and dishes!  I'm also looking forward to rearranging my pantry space (I don't have a pantry, so some of my kitchen cabinets have to be my pantry) in order to be, well, more orderly!  I can't wait to hear about your progress!!  Blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited about my living room. It has needed a major purge for some time, but I lacked the motivation. I didn't realize just how bad it was though. After cleaning out the movies, cd's, and game cabinet, I carried out 2 large bags of junk. Old cases, scratched CD's, and even a broken stereo. Why was I keeping a broken stereo? I rearranged the furniture and permitted myself to eliminate pieces that over crowd the space. We have a small living room with a very large sectional. I removed the corner of the sectional and pushed the ends together into a long couch. It might look a little long, but we have so much more room and it better suits our needs. I am very pleased with the results. I had been planning to skip the kitchen because I did it a few months ago, but now I can't wait to ditch some more stuff. D.O.

Karen said...

D.O.: I am SO thrilled to read about your living room improvements! You did a fantastic job with it, I can tell! How exciting--it must feel like you got a new living room altogether! Makes it even more exciting to tackle the next room, doesn't it? I'm glad you aren't skipping the kitchen--I'm expecting to still get rid of quite a bit, even though I've done it once already! Keep up the good work!!